Cuba is opening up its first church in 60 years, following a warming of relations between the Vatican and the long-reigning communist government. The Parish of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, one of just three churches approved by Cuba, has swung open its doors for the first time since Fidel Castro’s 1959 communist revolution that ushered in a new era of atheism.
The rural town of Sandino will be home to the recommissioned church, which was dedicated on Saturday and backed by the unfailing support of a Florida community. Tampa’s St. Lawrence Church played a central part in funding the reopening, with the area being home to the nation’s third-largest Cuban-American population. Continue Reading